This too cold spring weather is the perfect excuse to make this deliciously moist banana bread with ruby cranberries! Since it’s so chilly — and I’m feeling a bit so-so – I couldn’t wait to turn on my oven and create some colorful baked goodness to brighten up my day.
With ripe bananas on my counter and cranberries in my freezer, this banana bread was the first thing that came to mind. The tart cranberries combine so well together with the ripe sweet bananas. Plus, it allows you to cut back on the fat without sacrificing the flavor and texture. And if you’re afraid you’re going to put away the entire loaf in a day (because well, it is delish!), you can also make a snackable muffin version.
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp water
1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, softened
½ cup light brown sugar
2 large egg whites
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tbsp turbinado sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Spray a loaf pan with baking spray and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan combine the cranberries water & sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until the cranberries burst, about 4 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl whisk together the butter and brown sugar. Add egg whites, bananas and vanilla and beat at medium speed until smooth. Scrape down sides of the bowl. Add flour mixture and blend at low speed until combined.
5. Fold in cranberries and pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar on top and bake for about 60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool until warm before serving.