Lately, we’ve been getting more creative with our homemade pizzas and experimenting with all kinds of toppings. It’s one of those casual dishes that’s good for grazing all day on a lazy Sunday. Plus, it’s a lot healthier than the frozen or delivery kind. You can make the pizza dough from scratch or simply use an even quicker (and lazier) premade version.
So far, we’ve tried ‘Mushrooms & Caramelized Onions’, ‘Roasted Beets & Swiss Chard’ and ‘Ricotta, Figs & Prosciutto’. However, my absolute summer favorite is ‘Lemon Arugula’. I found a white pizza was a bit strange at first, but the smooth salty flavor of the cheese, together with the refreshing sour lemon and the subtle sharpness of the arugula makes it an irresistible combination. K wasn’t sure he would like a “salad” on his pizza, but turns out he too was pleasantly surprised.
What’s your favorite homemade pizza creation?
1 tbsp olive oil
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 cups arugula
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220° C
2. Place the pizza dough on a pizza pan or pizza stone.
3. Evenly brush the pizza with olive oil. Top with fresh mozzarella slices and parmesan cheese.
4. Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden and the cheese is melted.
5. Remove the pizza from the oven and (generously) top with arugula. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the arugula and season with salt & black pepper. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese.
6. Cut into slices and serve.